Whether you want to prevent stains on your teeth or you want to keep your newly whitened pearls pristine, you should know that certain food can stain your teeth. No amount of brushing and flossing can help once the teeth have been badly stained.
The teeth are susceptible to stains through the food we eat daily. Here is some of the food you should avoid if you want to keep your teeth white:
· Caffeinated drinks. Caffeine is an important part in a modern man’s day. Most people cannot go on with their work without coffee or tea. However, these drinks are staining and are among the top reasons for yellowing teeth. Even if you only drink a little, remember to swish water after every drink to prevent your teeth from yellowing.
· Sugar. When the mouth breaks down sugar, it produces acid. This erodes the enamel where cavities may form. Consistently eating or drinking sugary food and drinks can raise the acid level in the mouth. This is bad news for your pearly whites. Dentists noted that sports drinks are on top of the list for eroding the enamel.
· Starchy food. Starch also erodes the enamel, like sugar. This increases the acidity level of your mouth from the bacteria. Refined and cooked starch is more likely to raise the acid level compared to raw starches in vegetables. Starchy food includes bread, potatoes, and rice.
· Wine. Dark beverages such as wine can stain the teeth. Although you may want to celebrate your newly whitened teeth, doing so with wine is not the best option. To minimize the contact between your teeth and the drink, you may use a straw.
· Colored food. Blueberries, chocolates, tomato sauce, beets, and the likes have deep colors that can stain your white teeth. These have natural colors that work as a semi-permanent dye. Even food with artificial colorings, such as chewing gum, popsicles, and candies can color your teeth. When you eat a few of these foods, it can lead to stains on your teeth.